Carrier Of The Mark - Leigh Fallon

(this review is bring written from the blogger app on my phone. I apologize if the format looks a bit funky because of that.)

Okay. Catchy title. Gorgeous cover. Set in Ireland. Yeah. I can totally get into this book, I thought. Oh lordy...it was a struggle...

"Their love was meant to be.
When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs. But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction."

So let me preface this review with this statement: if you liked this book, don't take this review personally because honestly, I don't have a lot of nice things to say. Okay. That out of the way...

I'm going to keep it real here and tell you guys the truth. I was really disappointed in this book. So much so that by the time I got to end, I didn't like the book. I started out really wanting to like this book. I really did. And at first I was kind of into it. I love all things Irish. But then...like three chapters in this book started to sound familiar to me.

Let me explain.

So Megan is a pretty girl who doesn't know she's pretty with a father who seems to have checked out of his daughter's life. There is a mysterious family where she feels an instant attraction to the one named Adam, and his family instantly loves her and lies for her to Megan's father. There's a quirky sister and the older brother is an understanding jerk. Oh, the DeRis siblings have a guardian who is always around for information dumps. All this is going on and there is a secret society after Megan and the DeRis family.

I'll let you think about it for a second...let it sink in...

This book sounds an aweful like...oh...I don't know...Twilight perhaps?! Yeah. You can totally lay several scenes from each book ontop of each other and they are exactly the same. Identical. Holy shit. Really? And there in lies my disappointment in this book. The concept is brilliant and pretty original in young adult books. Howrever, I am so freaking over the weak pretty girl that doesn't know she's pretty but everyone just seems to love. For what reason? Megan started out a half way decent lead character but then a juicy piece of Irish man meat introduces himself and suddenly it "my existence is all about you." Really? Unbelievable.

The only this that this book has going for it is a gorgeous cover and the stories concept. However, everything feel flat and I felt nothing was delivered to me that made me really like or care about Megan.

I look at this review and I feel slightly bad about ripping this book apart, but the fact that the chacters personalities and scenes and interactions are obviously ripped off from Twilight makes it pretty darn easy to call it out for its flaws.

So the question stands to be asked: will I read the second book? Probably not. I don't mind similarities with in genres as that is to be expected. But you might want to try a little harder to hide the fact that you were obvioulsy inspired by Twilight. At least its sex fan fiction like Fifty Shades of Gray...

Go forth and read friends:
The good, the bad, and the ugly...all books deserve to be read at least once.

Comments