Married with Zombies-Jesse Petersen

I think if my husband and I were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse…we might behave like this couple…




“A heartwarming tale of terror in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. Meet Sarah and David. Once upon a time they met and fell in love. But now they're on the verge of divorce and going to couples' counseling. On a routine trip to their counselor, they notice a few odd things - the lack of cars on the highway, the missing security guard, and the fact that their counselor, Dr. Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat. Meet the Zombies. Now, Sarah and David are fighting for survival in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. But, just because there are zombies, doesn't mean your other problems go away. If the zombies don't eat their brains, they might just kill each other.”

Okay, so we are this couple without being on the verge of divorce. Like so many zombie books that I have been reading lately, I have Jenn to thank for this little nugget. So. Thanks Jenn! And I really, really enjoyed it. Hell, I loved it. Its always nice when you can love the characters while at the same time yell and laugh at the sometimes dumb things they do or how they react to on coming zombies.

What I got me really pulled into the book is the fact that Sarah and David find out that zombie apocalypse is upon them is when Sarah barges into their marriage councilor’s office and sees her devouring the couple before them. Of course, action and confusion ensues and the zombie councilor goes down: death by stiletto thanks to Sarah. I loved the snipping and bantering that went on back and forth between this couple. It seemed real and genuine. What better way to test your relationship than the end of the world? One of the funniest parts in the book for me is when Sarah goes into their bathroom to find their neighbor a zombie stuck in the bathtub, and she hits him in the head a book by Dr. Phil then finishes him off with the lid to the tank of the toilet. Then having to go out to the living room and tell David what happened. Of course, it was sad for David. The neighbor was kind of his friend. That part was kind of a bummer. And my heart strings got tugged on when they had to shot Amanda (while in the backseat of their crappy compact car) and David’s sister Gina because they were attacked by zombies and rather than deal with the change, they beg to have our heroes kill them.
The narration flowed naturally for the most part. Petersen made you not really care about how the zombies came into the world, only that they are there and an obsticle for Sarah and David. My only issue was the gratuitous cursing through out Sarah’s narration. Don’t get me wrong, I have a potty mouth myself. I am trying to work on because I have a one year old and she’s smart and I have no idea when she’ll start picking up on things. Last thing I need is for karma taking revenge on me for teaching my nephew to say “shit.” Anyway. Sorry. Tangent. As an amateur writer, I feel that things like cursing should be saved for dialogue and big impact moments. But that’s just me.
So normal ridiculously funny married couple with issues+zombies+a random encounter with a crazy religious group (totally didn’t mention that! Well, read the book. Trust me. Good stuff)= a total laugh out loud read. One of the funnier books I’ve read in a while. If zombies start shuffling around, I wanna be with Sarah and David. They are a pretty good with a shotgun, and they’ll make you laugh.

Comments