Matched - Ally Condie


If society tells you what to do…do you do it? Or do you make your own path?



“Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.”

This book was on sale at Amazon.com which is really the only reason why I got it and read it. Sure, the cover is pretty but nothing special. But I figured, why not?

The story of Cassia starts out pretty interesting. Cassia is on her way to be Matched to her husband who ends up being her best friend. The Society, as they are called in this particular Dystpoia, then turns her world upside down just for an experiment to see what emotions can be stirred by giving false information.
The premise is interesting, but half way through the book, I lost my interest. I felt the story of Cassia rebelling turned into a whine fest of how it was all not fair and her fight and struggle to be with either Ky or Xander. I understand that is part of the story, however, the story lost momentum once Cassia started whining.

 The writing is good and I didn’t end up disliking any characters in this book (which is good, since I always seem to end up disliking some main character), I just felt that this book was merely, okay. A quick read that got a little boring half way through and then a little vague at the end in which we don’t know the outcome of Cassia or Ky. Will I read the next book? Maybe. However, not on my list of books I must read right now.

Comments

  1. I really like your blog! Is there anyway I can contact you about possible review titles. Please email me kenya(dot)walker@us(dot)penguingroup(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment