The Missing Ink - Karen E. Olson


A book that isn’t an urban fantasy or young adult in classification? I know. I was kinda surprised myself.



“Brett Kavanaugh is a tattoo artist and owner of an elite tattoo parlor in Las Vegas. When a girl makes an appointment for a tattoo of the name of her fiancé embedded in a heart, Brett takes the job but the girl never shows. The next thing Brett knows, the police are looking for her client, and the name she wanted on the tattoo isn't her fiancé's...”

This book is a case of cover love…and it was free for my Kindle. And I know, I tend to get myself in trouble when I judge a book by its cover, but I’m glad I got this book. It was actually a really interesting read. And that always makes me a happy camper.

I really enjoyed the character of Brett. I felt like get a tattoo from her and then have a couple beers afterwards. She was a well rounded character that didn’t feel forced. Her personality and sense of humor seemed to be natural. The supporting characters played really well against Brett. I did feel that some characters were a little more flamboyant than others, but that was probably just to show that the Ms. Kavanaugh is pierced and tatted up, she’s the most normal and level headed person in the whole damn book.

I did enjoy the mystery story element. A woman who makes an appointment but then never comes. Another woman turns up dead. Finger being pointed at any and everyone, including Brett. Oh! The twists and turns! The twists were well place and each chapter seemed to have cliff hangers, which of course, made me curse and keep on reading. I couldn’t put the book down!

I only really have one issue with this book. I did feel that the set up for Brett’s ex-man that seemed to fail. Though he is not fully introduced in the book, I’m hoping that the ex at least makes some kind of appearance otherwise, I feel that is a waste of reading time.

Though this book had it’s cutesy factor to it (i.e. Me and My Gholefriends), I could handle it because Brett is well written and strong protagonist and the plot twists were well placed. Good job Amazon store for putting this on my Kindle as a recommendation to read and thanks for being free. Though to be honest, I would pay for it now knowing how awesome this book is. Here’s hoping the second book is not a letdown…

Comments