Me and My Ghoulfriends-Rose Pressey


Oh wait…was there really a plot to this book? Wait…oh! There it is…I think…



“By day, Larue Donavan is a down-to-earth bookstore owner. But by night, she's a world-renowned psychic investigator dedicated to helping lost spirits find peace. Dead people won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents. It's the living who drive her crazy. When Callahan Weiss moves to town, the handsome newcomer opens a coffee shop right next door. She's smitten from the start, but she's not the only one -- The boutique owner across the street has her eye on Callahan too, and uses witchcraft to fight dirty. When Callahan gets hit by a love spell, Larue will need more than a little help from her ghoul-friends to save the day.”

So I know that first little line is dripping with snarky sassiness, but let me say that this is story was not bad. But it wasn’t fantastic. It was well, mediocre. I would prefer leaning towards either end of the scale in determining if this book was good or bad. But the scales of my book review justice did not want to tip in either direction.

The thing that drove me a little bonkers about this book was that this girl really didn’t seem to have anything better to do than drool over Callahan Weiss (who seems a little too dream boat for me and over the top perfect for my taste), and not liking the evil witchy boutique owner (which, I mean for good reason. She was a bitch). The story was rather slow and I had a hard time getting behind Larue, who in my mind seemed a little wishy-washy. I’m so use to reading paranormal and urban fantasy that is fast paced and full of action, so while I was reading this I found myself bored with Larue’s pinning and whining.

However, all this being said, the writing was decent and certain characters were very fun to read. I did enjoy the interaction between Larue and her ghostly friends. It seemed like they were the only ones who really genuinely gave a crap about Larue and her love life.

I might have enjoyed the book a little bit more if I hadn't read two action pack books prior to this one. But I love my paranormal with a nice big helping of kick ass. Rose Pressey wrote a simply nice story that was a little too cutesy for me. If you need a fluffy chick lit book with little substance, this is totally a book that you should read then.

Comments