Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box-Mira Grant


Doesn’t always seem to start off as a game?



“Every week five friends get together to play a game-- a game they call the Apocalypse Game. It's a fun time with chips and beer and plotting the end of the world. Except this time, one of them is missing and the stakes are higher than ever before.”

This was a great short story. I mean, really short story. I was kind of surprised by how short it was. But whatever. I’m okay with that. I loved the idea of a group of friends getting together to plot the end of the world. But little does the group of friends know, one of them has actually been doing just that.

Mira Grant has this great ability to set up a totally unassuming situation and then turn it suspenseful. The missing friend having her cheating boyfriend play a recording of her voice describing her scenario as a true to life thing, and then giving vaccinating them and giving the same vaccination to give to their friends and family. And then the end with the knock on the door, and that person coughing just seemed to be the icing on the cake for the suspense of a virus ending the world.

I’m not too sure if this is tied to Grant’s Newsflesh series, but there’s a ominous sense that it is tied the the viruses that caused Grant’s zombie apocalypse.  But oh my zombies! I can’t wait to read to get my little hands on the next Newsflesh book, Blackout. Totally stoked.

Comments