First Grave on the Right-Darynda Jones

Grim Reaper? Say what? Damn. Why didn’t I think of that?




"Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely."

So this is what I was doing for a majority of the time while I was reading this book: HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, this book was so much fun to read. I have added Charley Davidson to my list of awesome characters I wish I thought of (yes, Harry Dresden and Rachel Morgan are on that list). Darynda Jones gave the basic requirements for Charley in the paranormal urban fantasy heroine: sassy, smart, strong, supernatural ability, and sexy. But Jones has managed to give Charley such a unique voice that is so hilarious and nerdy and sarcastic that it helped set Charley apart from the other fantasy heroines. Charley doesn't take herself seriously, knows her flaws and accepts them, and is loyal to all her friends, coporeal and non-coporeal. She's the girl that I would want backing me up in a bar fight because I know she's have my back no matter what, even if we were getting our asses kicked. But at least we'd have fun.

Oh, and she’s a grim reaper. Damn that’s brilliant. But she’s not so much a collecting souls to deliver kind of grim reaper, she is a portal for souls who are still on Earth for some reason on another that helps them cross over to the other side. They can see her from any where in the world. They are drawn to her. I think my favorite scenes in the book is when Charley is describing the experience of a soul crossing through her, and how each soul has their own unique smell.

I enjoyed the multiple plots and who they intertwine with each other though they have nothing to do with each other. Three dead attorneys from the same practice is the first plot, and the second plot is the mysterious Reyes Alexander Farrow (he’s very dreamy and the son of Satan. Yay!). I enjoyed the tale of the attorneys helping Charley solve their murder. I did feel that the Reyes’ plot overshadowed really good story just a bit, but after reading the second book, Second Grave on the Left (review coming soon darlings!) it makes sense of why the Reyes’ plot gets a little more attention.

I loved this book and I think any nerdy sarcastic girl will get so absorbed into this book and get a kick out of knowing that not only are her boobs named “Danger” and “Will Robinson,” but she took the time out to name her ovaries “Beam Me Up” and “Scotty.”

Comments