The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery - Justin Richards


Be forewarned: I’m about to go into full fangirl mode about my fandom…that’s right. I’m a Whovian. And if I could be any character from the recent Doctor Who series, I would be River Song. And this book cements my choice. Hello Sweetie!



The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Story is an ebook based on a story partially told in British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

The book, fictionally written by River Song under the detective pen-name Melody Malone. It was featured in the episode "The Angels Take Manhattan", with The Doctor reading it.

The story of "The Angels Take Manhattan" is formed in The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Story.

On some days, New York is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

This was one of the other days…

Melody Malone, owner and sole employee of the Angel Detective Agency, has an unexpected caller. It’s movie star Rock Railton, and he thinks someone is out to kill him. When he mentions the ‘kiss of the Angel’, she takes the case. Angels are Melody’s business…


Okay, so I have to do something prior to getting this review started properly. Let me start by saying quickly that the episode that this book is featured in, "The Angles Take Manhattan," is the best worst episode for me. I cried. Three times. I love to hate you, Stephen Moffatt.

(Look! See! Amy Pond was reading it!)


That out of the way, let’s get this review started.

I have read a couple Doctor Who books prior to this one. They were what were called Quick Reads. They were about the Doctor and his companions. At first I thought it would be some crazy timey whimy retelling of the episode, however it wasn’t. It is an independent tale featuring the infamous River Song. There were quite a few reviews on Amazon and Goodreads complaining feeling they were mislead. Well folks, obvious didn’t read the description of the book.

The voice of River Song, a.k.a, Melody Malone, is clear and distinct with the familiar wit and sassiness that is the Doctor’s wife (spoilers!). I love how the narration seems to be slightly out of place for time for which the she is set in as well as this type of pulp fiction mystery tale. There are little bits of information dropped eluding to the Doctor, but everything else is all about River/Melody and her search for the Weeping Angels (which are perhaps one of the most frightening Doctor Who monsters ever created. Thanks again Stephen Moffat for making me afraid of statues). There is mystery and intrigue. There are beautiful dames and Hollywood fat cats. And of course, alien technology. Duh! However, I don’t want to give too much away in this story. As River would say, “Spoilers!”

Though I thoroughly enjoyed this read, there were a couple parts that I felt were slightly forced and a little erratic, even for River. But that can be forgiven as I know this book was written for the fans. Though not mentioned directly in the book itself, I feel it was a very beautiful good bye and farewell to beloved characters of the show and possibly good bye to Ms. Song.

I have my fingers crossed for some more tales of the lovely, smart, sassy, and self-proclaim psychopath River Song. She is a strong and interesting female hero who deserves to have her adventures and exploits shared with the world. 

Until Next Time.
Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be River Song...Later Sweeties!!


Comments